Monday, November 24, 2008

Luang Prabang=Absolutely Amazing

Today was our first full day in the absolutely beautiful Luang Prabang. Aaaabsolutely beautiful. It's surround by mountains and made up of small streets lined with French colonial style buildings and overflowing with plants and flowers. Also, they have taken all of my favorite colors (all of them) and decorated everything from temples to Tuk Tuks. It's beautiful. We've had some delicious Lao food and some interesting Lao coffee, but spent the rest of the time strolling around. We did make it to a couple of Wats: one covered in sparkling mosaics and the other on top of a small hill where we could watch the sun set over the mountains. Beautiful.

In other good news, all the beautiful souveniers are very expensive, so I can't buy them! We're calling all the shops and markets "museums" now. Tonight we visited the nightly handicraft street museum.

The kids here (at least the ones we've met) are a little on the bizarre side. Sarah got attacked by one weilding a handful of straws at a cafe the other day. One girl was very very curious about why on earth I had bought my dress. (I don't think it's that offensive? Black shirt dress?) And two little boys (we're talking 4 or 5 years old) thought it would be hilaaaarious if they ran up behind me and tried to lift up my crazy black dress. Hilaaarious. Tomorrow we're going to hang out with some more kids at a literacy center. I'll report back on those.

No comments: