Sunday, November 2, 2008

Revisiting the pharmacist

A quick trip to the pharmacist around the corner pretty much cured my leg woes. The ol' legs have done an excellent job carrying me around the city all day. Sarah had a rough day today (too much delicious fruit?), so I went back to see if they could help us out again. I returned with a magical stomach potion that had ginger AND mint and some bonus rhubarb too! The woman on the bottle looked extremely happy so we're hoping that's what Sarah will look like when she wakes up in the morning :)

Today was supposed to be decision day....should we go to Laos or Cambodia? what are the "must do" things before we leave Chiang Mai? Where we can we watch the election results? It seems like having even a rough calendar mapped out will take away some of the stress over wanting to do everything and not having time. So far we've decided that both Laos and Cambodia would be awesome, there are lots of things we want to do in Chiang Mai, and that UN's Irish Pub seems to be the place to go. (One decision down!)

I did some more walking around Chiang Mai, which is very accessible by foot. We're staying in the old city, which is surrounded by a moat and is primarily a pseudo-grid of "soi" or alleys. The city center and the Ping River are to the east, which is where you'll find the night bazaar (not my favorite of the many markets we've been to), silk and fabric shops, the large produce market (see old post), etc.

Tonight was also the Sunday Market, and although I was thinking I was marketed out at this point, it's my favorite of the ones we've been to so far. It had a wider variety of crafts from some of the hill tribes which were a nice change of pace from endless stalls selling fisherman's pants. (By the way, you all need some of these pants. I wore my new ones today, and they are literally the most comfortable things I've ever worn. I only looked a little bit like a hippie earth mother.) The market was also dotted with musicians ranging from a 5 member Thai boy band to a one man band playing 4 instruments (there were lots of toes involved).

And now, bedtime. We have to wake up early for cooking school!

No comments: